Thursday, June 02, 2011

Cultivating the Right Attitude

Joy Ekeledo, a first year student of the Nigerian Institute of Journalism shares an interesting insight into the life of a young person struggling to gain admission into university.  Can you remember your attitude during this period of your life? What is your attitude towards any challenges you might be facing right now? Remember to keep adopting a positive attitude towards life! Enjoy Joy’s story:
 
By Joy Ekeledo (Guest Writer) joybecky57@yahoo.com
 
Attitude is the way one feels or thinks about something or somebody. It equally refers to how one acts or behaves towards someone or something. I can vividly recall the trauma I passed through during the four years I waited patiently at home for a university admission. It looked more like a nightmare than a preparatory ground to get me matured for the system. I saw everything and everyone as a hindrance because the urge to gain admission increased tremendously overtime, like a dry grass sprinkled with petrol and set ablaze.
 
However, the tune changed when I finally gained admission. And so did my lifestyle. I felt that I didn’t have any role to play at home. All I did was go to school, and receive lectures. I began mixing with the wrong people at school. We went clubbing a lot. My attitude changed generally (I knew it) and because I went to school from home daily, it created enmity between my family and I. It was like becoming a stranger in my home.
 
It was not like socializing  at school is bad but like they say, too much of everything is not good.  Keeping bad company at school got a greater part of me and I started going down academically.
 
The consciousnesses of my running down fast on wrong lane made me realize the need for me to sit down and take stock of my life. It dawned on me that if I don’t retrace my steps, I would end in ruin. The following semester was a huge battle.
 
Developing the right attitude leads to a successful realization of a right life. If you have the right attitude, you can improve your life and change your life for the better!
 
My experience has taught me that the worst nightmare of any man can be changed with the right attitude.  We can differentiate our right from wrong, like separating the wheat from the chaff.

No comments: